Fall has finally arrived! As the sun starts to set earlier and the weather slowly becomes more sharp and crisp, you won’t want to be left out in the cold. These chipotle pumpkin-tomato chicken sausages are sure to have you feeling warm on a cold night! I love to use seasonal vegetables and flavors whenever I cook; adding the pumpkin into your tomato sauce is a great way to elevate and smooth out your flavors. The silky smoothness of the pumpkin combined with the smokey flavor from the Mole Oaxaqueño seasoning create a full flavored sauce. This recipe is my elevated take on chicken Parmesan, the perfect handheld seasonal meal. Add this one to your recipe book and stay warm all winter!
- 1 package of chicken sausages, any flavor
- 1 package of New England Rolls (I recommend the King’s Hawaiian Hot Dog Rolls)
- 1 fifteen ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato puree
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 block of shredded mozzarella
- 2 tsps of Al Pastor Seasoning
- 2 tsps of Mole Oaxaqueño Seasoning
- 1 tsp of Mojo Citrico Seasoning
- 1 tsp Mole Verde Seasoning
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp Mil Usos
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ stick of salted butter
- In a medium saucepan heat your oil. Once the pan is hot, add in 2 cloves of crushed garlic and stir until the garlic is golden brown. Next, add in all of the spices (except the Mil Usos), stir quickly before adding in your crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, pumpkin puree, and water. Let simmer on low for 30-40 minutes while you finish cooking the other elements. Add the milk to the sauce in the final 5 minutes.
- Combine your butter, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, and your Mil Usos seasoning in a small bowl; microwave until thoroughly melted. Next, take each of your New England rolls and baste inside and outside with your garlic butter mixture. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Gently slice each sausage down the middle (scoring them helps ensure that you get the maximum amount of crisp on your sausage) and grill until the sausages are cooked and crispy!
- Place sausages in each bun, spoon 1-2 Tbsp of sauce over them, top with shredded mozzarella, and place back in the oven. Broil your sausages until the cheese on top is fully melted and slightly brown.
- Once these are down, take them out of the oven, plate, and enjoy!