Crock Pot and Drop it
By Morgan Holmes
With autumn right around the corner, it’s about that time to bring back out your trusty slow cooker and try this tortilla soup recipe! Welcome to the season of tailgates, bonfires, festivals, and all things pumpkin. This easy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfect for any occasion; a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Lucky for you, it’s quick and easy to make! Besides being delicious, this soup is also nutritious as it’s jam packed with protein. This soup lasts up to 5 days in your fridge but is versatile enough to also be re-purposed into a dip. Combine leftovers with cream cheese and cheddar cheese to make a loaded buffalo dip and continue to enjoy all week long!
1 Rotisserie Chicken
1 can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
1 c. corn (can be frozen)
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Mojo Citrico Seasoning
1 tbsp. Al Pastor Seasoning
¼ tsp. Red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Salt
3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 c. shredded Monterey jack
1 c. shredded Sharp cheddar
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
Sour cream, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large slow cooker combine the meat from your rotisserie chicken, beans, tomatoes, onions, corn, peppers, chipotle peppers, and spices.
- Pour in the broth, as well as one cup of water. Cover, and let simmer on low for 3 hours.
- Remove half of the soup from the crock pot and using an immersion blender (or a normal blender) puree the soup. Pour your pureed mixture back into the slow cooker.
- Next, add ¾ of both cheeses into the pot and stir (make sure to save ¼ to use to garnish your dish). Let sit for another 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy and golden. Remove from pan and lay on a paper towel-lined plate. Pat any oil off and season with salt.
- Lastly, garnish your soup with tortilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, cheese, and a lime wedge and enjoy!
Find more recipes with al pastor and mojo cítrico seasonings in the blog or in the Taco Addict eCookbook!