Warm Winter Cocktails
Who doesn’t love warm cocktails when it is cold outside? I mean winter punch is something to look forward too around the holidays.
There are 2 cocktail recipes in this post. Bourbon Hot Cider made with fresh juiced apples, like punch and then the classic Hot Toddy that is more like a spiked tea with honey so when I have a cold, I take it as a sign that I should treat my throat.
Bourbon Hot Cider
In fall and winter, in North America, especially where I grew up in upstate New York, when apples are in season it is a perfect time to make your own cider and spike it with bourbon. It is crazy simple to make cider. You basically juice apples. I have found that juicing a variety of apples results in the most balanced flavored cider. Grab some red delicious, pink ladies, granny smiths and golden delicious apples and get your cider on. The liquid quickly oxidizes and turns that familiar brown color. I add a cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and some orange peel to the liquid, bring to a simmer and then add booze. If you don’t drink it is perfect without alcohol. This is one you want to enjoy with only your favorite people since it can get pricey to juice enough apples for multiple people not to mention multiple rounds.
Bourbon Hot Cider
- 2 each of 4 different types of apples ranging in sweetness and tartness (I used granny smith, golden delicious, pink ladies and red delicious)
- 1 tsp Chocobanana Seasoning
- 2 orange peels
- 2 lemon peels
- Bourbon to taste
- Juice the apples or blend and strain.
- Add to pot and add the rest of the ingredients except bourbon.
- Bring to a simmer then pour into serving cups and add bourbon.
This is a great warm cocktail on a budget. It is basically a tea you make with the addition of lemon, sugar, cinnamon stick, clove and a fresh grating of nutmeg. It is also low in calories so it is a great mixer.
- 2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or honey
- 2 lemon peels and squeeze of half lemon
- 1/2 tsp Chocobanana Seasoning
- grated fresh nutmeg
- 2 ounce Bourbon
- Add all ingredients except nutmeg to a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Add bourbon and grate nutmeg over it. Serve in mugs
- Add sugar if needed
This is great warm winter cocktail for a cold night or when you are feeling a little sick and need something soothing. Share with friends for full enjoyment.